Sam's Story

I started this blog for Sam. I have a family blog and I have taken the entries from that blog that have anything to do with Sam. It starts with the day I announced that baby #3 was on it's way...enjoy Sam!

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Tragedy or Destiny

The day we found out about Sam’s heart, I was a changed person. I will never be the same. I feel like I have gone through the different stages of grief at different times over the last few months. One thing that I wanted to write about though, is that I have still not felt any anger toward God.
At our first ultrasound with Sam, the tech spent extra time on the heart and told us there was something she wanted someone else to get a better look at. I knew in my heart that it wasn’t something that would go away. Even though I hoped that the next ultrasound would find things absolutely “normal”, I knew that it wasn’t how it would be for us.
That night we called the Bishop over and Mike gave me a blessing. He didn’t say the words that I wanted to hear. He didn’t say that this baby would be fine and that he would live. He said that the Lord is in charge and this is all part of a plan. As he spoke those words, I knew it. I knew that it was not a mistake. I wanted Mike to bless this baby to be okay, but deep down, I knew that it wasn’t the plan for us.
The other day I was listening to Spencer W. Kimball’s talk Tragedy or Destiny. He started out by listing all these terrible things that happened to good people. He talks about how people asked why God would allow these things to happen. He says:

“Could the Lord have prevented these tragedies? The answer is, Yes. The Lord is omnipotent, with all power to control our lives, save us pain, prevent all accidents, drive all planes and cars, feed us, protect us, save us from labor, effort, sickness, even from death, if He will. But He will not.
We should be able to understand this, because we can realize how unwise it would be for us to shield our children from all effort, from disappointments, temptations, sorrows, and suffering.”

I know that God can heal Sam’s heart. I know that He could take away this pain in my heart. But will He?
From the beginning, people have told us that they are so sorry that we are going through this trial. I agree that I wouldn’t wish this upon anyone, but at the same time, I can’t say that I would take this trial away. I might give Sam a less serious heart defect, but I wouldn’t take things away entirely.
I changed the day we found out about Sam’s heart. I am a better person already. I don’t want to give that up.
I can only see things with my mortal eyes. God knows everything. He has an eternal perspective and He knows that in the end, this experience will be for my good. He knows that in order for me to become the person I need to be, I need to go through this. So will God heal Sam’s heart? Probably not. But He can heal my heart. He can make me a stronger person. He already has.
How can I blame a loving Father in Heaven for helping me to be a better person? How can I question the actions of one who is omnipotent? How can I ask for this trial to be taken from me when I know that it is for the good of all of us?
As a parent, I hate to see my kids hurt. I hate to think of the things they will face over their lifetimes. I know that my Mom hates to see me hurt. But as parents, we know that sometimes our children have to hurt. Sometimes they have to suffer. They have to experience all these things in order to be strong.
So, the point of these ramblings is that I am grateful that I know that my Heavenly Father loves me. I know that Sam is my sweet baby forever and that it is no accident that he is coming to our family with his special heart. He is here to teach us all and to make us stronger. He is here to help me grow closer to God. I am so grateful for that. I can’t go back to the person I was before May 6th, and I don’t want to.

9 comments:

  1. It's amazing the reach that your trial has for others around you--the way you're handling things has made me think about new things and have a better perspective. I think Heavenly Father is reaching a lot of people through your family's experiences. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You truly are amazing and what wonderful perspective you have gained in the last few months. I love reading your posts on this blog. You have a wonderful way with words and I enjoy reading what you have to say. I can't wait until little Sam arrives and will continue to pray that you might have continued peace. What a great example you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I am little Merideth's Aunt and Diana wrote about you in her post. May you continue to be blessed with the courage and the faith you will need in the coming days! We'll pray for you and your little family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful posting. I am also a "Heart Mom". I have come to know in the two years since my son was born that he accepted to have this physical challenge and that I also understood and agreed to be his mother. What wonderful inspiration to have received. While I wish he did not have to go through the pain of his heart defect and surgery, I am so grateful for the things I have learned and the friendships I have developed with other heart families. There are so many blessings that come during challenges.

    Hugs & Prayers,
    Christina from IHH
    Jacob's Momma
    www.jacobsheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue, As one of your "mom's", I want you to know how you amaze me. I lost a son, too, but in such a differnt way. Steve was taken in an instant. I didn't have go to through months of knowing, like you and Mike have had to. I know the grief of losing part of you and my heart aches for you and Mike. I love how you can express yourself so beautifuly. I, too, know all the things you said about our Heavenly Father. We need to go through these things, grief, pain, and hardship, to make us better, more spiritual, and more like our loving Saviour. I know the Holy Spirit will support you, strengthen you and guide you through this experience. I love the Gospel of Jesus Christ and can't imagine going through our lives without knowing about the "Plan of Happiness", that we can live worthily and be reunited with our lovesd ones again for Eternity. Your loving other mom, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue and Mike
    My heart is with you! Every night seens you told me want was going on I have thought of you two! I know how amazing you both are.I feel for you and your family but I understand this post hole heartedly. I have a new apprication for Kylee has I'm sure you do for the health of your babies.
    I love the temple and the blessings it offers for eternal families. I have a full understanding of this and a greater testimony of it. You will get your chance to have him! I know that with all my heart!
    Even though my eyes are full of water right know, I offer any support and love I can give you! I hope you understand how much you are influencing others testimonies. You are a true example. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wanted to check in with you, Sue! I hope you and the family are doing well. I'm thinking of yall and definitely praying!

    ReplyDelete
  8. o.k. let me wipe the tears away. That was so precious Sue. Thank you for your strength and courage. You are such an inspiration to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Suebee, you are such a wonderful mother and wife and friend. The words you use make it possible to hear about Sam with such love. I love being your neighbor and want you to know we are praying for your family and especially you and Mike.

    Terry & Steve

    ReplyDelete